Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I Hope They Never Make a Mistake

Louisville assistant coach Kevin Willard (his dad, Ralph Willard, is the Holy Cross head coach) was offered the head position at Delaware, then he wasn't. His boss, Rick Pitino, is royally pissed. I don't blame him.

Apparently Willard blew away the committee interviewing candidates at Delaware, in part because of his honesty in disclosing the fact that he had plead guilty of a DUI charge two years ago. There has been no record of Willard having any similar incidents before or since. That appeared to satisfy the selection committee who offered him the job, but according to the ESPN report, there were a few complaints because of Willard's DUI and the contract offer was pulled.

It doesn't make Delaware seem like a very appealing place to work from where I sit. The leaderhip there certainly failed to show much strength of conviction or support for their selection. I would love to work for a boss that stood up for me like Rick Pitino did for his assistant, especially given the fact that Willard was trying to leave Louisville. I've never been a big fan of Pitino, but he proved to be a stand-up guy in this situation.

I hope Delaware's next choice hasn't been caught doing anything more serious than jaywalking.

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have had the pleasure of working with Kevin Willard. They have missed an opportunity to work with not only a wonderful guy, but also a great coach. Not to worry, someone else will have the good sense to see a gold mine and hire him. I dare say he will be much better off that going to Delaware. If they cannot support one another, they would not have been supportive of a new comer. He'll come out on top...I'll miss him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home